Sunday, January 17, 2010

Telluride 2010

This morning as I was getting us all out the door for our first day on the slopes I had the thought, exactly what was it I like so much about skiing. By the time we got in the shuttle to take Brodie to ski school I had had to return to the condo three times for things I had forgotten. I was hot, uncomfortable, and nervous that things were not going to go well for Brodie in ski school. I was a little teary when they whisk Brodie from us and took him into the bowels of ski school without even a hug goodbye. It's not as if I wanted him to cling to me, but I wanted the instructor to let me explain all the things I felt needed explaining and they didn't even give me the chance. Oh how was he to survive without final parting words from me????
As Ben and I took our first few runs and looked out at the majestic beauty of the world and breathed in the incredible mountain air I remembered what is so great about skiing. It is breathtaking. I feel incredible as I fly down the mountain with the wind whipping my hair - actually as I slowly make my way down the mountain as cautiously as possible, but I still feel great.
Anyway I really love being in the mountains. When we met Brodie as he was getting out of ski school and his instructor said that he said today was the best day of his life I was so excited I thought I might bust. Actually I did have a little leakage around the eye area. That made the day even more amazing.
This afternoon we drove to Rico from Telluride which has to be one of the most beautiful drives in the world. Rico is a town of about 17 people, but it has a very old hotel and an amazing restaurant. When we got there the "chef" told us that they only serve hotel guests now. When we told him we had driven from Telluride he said he would serve us. I had one of the best meals I've had in a long time. Everything was great. Then we drove back to Telluride and swam outside under the stars and in the shadow of the mountains. What a day of memories and special moments. I feel so thankful for the wonderful life we are able to enjoy.

No comments: