Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Biology 101

The other day we were driving on I-540 and Brodie noticed a billboard advertising the Jones Center. The billboard had many children of various races and nationalities. He said that one of the kids was Anna, a friend of his that was adopted from Korea. Then he said, "Mommy, why does Anna have brown skin and Mr. Kevin and Ms. Marti have skin like ours." I reminded him that she and her sister were adopted from Korea instead of growing in Marti's body. I also mentioned Sharon and Mia - girls in his class that were adopted from China and how they don't look like their mom and dad. Then Brodie said, "Yeah, just like David Zhu!" I told him, no that David was born in Arkansas like him. Brodie immediately said, "No, he was born in China." Again I told him that he was born in Arkansas. Then Brodie said, "Then how did he get those slanted eyes!"

I got a good laugh out of that and I want to remember that conversation. Sadly things I think I will never forget I can't even remember long enough to tell Ben later.

No comments: